My Experience with Ovarian Cyst (part 9)



January 14th, as the last several days, Loel woke up before I did. I found him working on his laptop coughing and sneezing. He said he may caught some virus 'cuz he isn't feel good. But I did not feel any fever, so it's still at early stage. I told him to take colostrum, twice a day, every single day, and take some nap before we go.
11 AM we were ready to leave. Loel dropped me off at Austin Regional Clinic (ARC) then he went to Costco to get couple things. Nurse called me in around 11.40 AM to do last USG before surgery. After that, I waited 35 minutes to meet Dr. Blumhagen. He checked my blood presure, heart, and lungs, and my abdomen. Not much to be discussed since we've talked about most of it on the last visit. He said he will start with "bikini line" incission. Only if he have trouble pulling the mass out then he'd go with vertical incission. "I'll do my best, Maria. I promise you. So don't you worry. OK?" That really comforts me. He then gave me consent to sign on and prescribed me with anti allergy medication. Last thing was doing some blood work to check my blood counts and pregnancy test.
Around 1.10 PM I left ARC and went to first floor to do registration with hospital. I called Loel and he's already on the way to parking lot. More paperwork to fill and I paid for the surgery room. Then a nurse called and she gave me instructions of things to do before surgery. I gave her a list of supplements, herbs, and medication I'm curently taking and also list of drugs I should avoid because I'm allergic to them.
It was weird that she was told that I'm an outpatients, which means I don't need to stay in hospital and that they're gonna do laparoscopy, which opposed of what Dr. B told me. She called Dr. B's nurse to confirm and then she gave me different instructions. Good Lord! This small mistake could cost me life and fortune!
She asked if in case of emergency I need a blood transfussion, would I approve it? I said NO. Then she gave me consent to sign. I'm positive about this, 'cuz you may get contaminated blood and also doc convinced me that less blood to waste during the surgery. I even asked him if I need to bank my blood before surgery and he said it's not necessary. Plus, my blood counts turned out OK and I consume spinach and broccoli daily. So, I'll be just fine.
We stopped by CVS to pick up some items listed on the instruction sheet: a bottle of fleet enema, betadine douche, and Hibiclens (antimicrobial scrub/shower gel). Here's list of things to do:
- Sign in at surgery center at 6 AM on the 20th of January
- nothing taken by mouth after midnite on January 19th. This includes no water, chewing gum, breath mints, candy, chewing tobacco, liquids or food.
- No aspirin or any other blood thinner medication towards surgery
- Do fleet enema the night before surgery
- Douch in the morning of surgery
- shower with Hibiclens at night before and in the morning of surgery

I remember Novi, my friend in Surabaya, said of enema as "something that she wishes not to do it again in her life time". Is it really that bad? Hm...I guess I will find out soon.

1 comments:



Unknown said...

Love you lots, you have nothing to worry about, God is with you in every way.miss you much xxxoooxxx