After Surgery, Day 2

Cross on the wall

January 22nd,

2AM
I woke up in pain and sweat. I called nurse for some pain medication. Greg came in with Vicodin. He asked if I want one or two. God! Just give me that damn pils!! Few minutes later I became more relax and calm and fell asleep. I woke up 2 hours later when a nurse came in to check my vital. Watching tv and read a book and went back to sleep.

7AM
Greg came in his shift asked if everything is OK and measured my urine and checked my vital signs. Few minutes later Leonada came in and checked my incision and heard the gurgling in my stomach. She smiled and told me to walk some more. Another nurse came in with a tray of... liquid food. I'm bored!

9.30AM
Doctor came and checked on me. He heard the gurgling on my stomach and asked if I passed out gas. I said not yet. "Well, I'm sorry Maria, but I have to hold you here one more night. I just want to make sure everything is alright then I can let you go. OK?" I asked if there is medication I can take to get this gas out. He said there is none. "Just walking, walking, and more walking. It's the only way to get your bowel movement back to normal and that way the gas will pass out easily." I asked him if I can have veggie juice and smoothies. He said very thin veggie juice is OK, but not smoothie. He then sat down and became more serious,"Maria, I have something to tell you. The result from pathology clinic came today and it's not so good. They found what we call 'clear cell' on your left ovary. Clear cell is cell that arise from ovarian tissue and in most cases is malignant." I was shocked, stunned, couldn't find word to say. God, is it not enough for me that I have to go through this new challenge? Doctor said more, but I just couldn't digest the rest. What I could comprehend was that doctor found cancerous cell and that it's related to ovarian cancer and it was like the end of the world to me. He wrote in a piece of paper, "I will refer you to Dr. Teneriello, he's a good gynecology oncologyst. If I have a family member with the same case I would positively refer them to him." He continued,"Please Maria, don't go to chiropractor, or herbalist, or anything like that. Call this doctor first. Meet with him and discuss what further treatment you should get." I asked him, "what do you mean? Is it like chemo?" "I don't know. Maybe you have to undergo another surgery to remove your right ovary, or your lymph node, or maybe chemotherapy or other treatment. Or may be even better, you do not have to do anything else. But, please go talk to him first. OK?" We talked for another 5 minutes, he patted me and told me things will be alright and went out. No. Things are not gonna be alright for me. I can't believe I have cancer! My dad died of cancer, Lymphoma non-Hodgkin. But, I changed my diet, I've been being vegetarian for 4 years now. Why do I still get this bad cell?How? I was so devastated. I cried and asked God why.

10.30AM
Loel came with juice and smoothie I asked the night before. Once he sat down I told him what doctor said. He came to my side and said sorry,"I know it sucks, it's hard, not just for you but for both of us. If only there is anything I could do for you to make you feel better?" I said,"How about a walk?" So, we went for a walk. In and out the aisle, went down to the lobby and came back up to my bed. He helped me sitting on the reclyner on the side of my bed. And we changed topic. We decided to leave this topic behind, and Loel kept telling me to focus on my recovery and to think positive. I told him to take the smoothie back since i'm not allowed. He went back home around 12.30PM and said will come back around 5PM.

1.30PM
After finished my lunch (another serving of liquid food), I felt the urge of going so I stood up, and went to restroom. Just when I sat down, I released the gas, a lot of it..ha..ha.. I was so happy I called nurse to tell doc to see if I still can go home today. Leonada came if few minutes later. She smiled at me and said,"You just made this up so you can go home, didn't you? I told her I didn't,"I have proof and it's in the toilet." he..he.. She checked and said,"Well, congratulation then! I did call doctor but he wasn't there. I left a message with the nurse, so we just need to wait till he return my call. Meanwhile, I'm gonna call kitchen to see if we can get you a real food." Real food? Whoo hooo...! Ten minutes later a nurse came in with a tray of steamed veggies (carrot, green beans and green peas), a roll with butter, a cookie, a pint of milk, and a cup of tea. Wonderful! I wolved it down like a hungry beast he..he.. I called Loel immediatelly telling him what happened and that we're waiting for doctor to return the call to get the discharge permit. Lilis called me asking how I was doing. She said she wanted to come tonite with her husband, Sef, if it was alright with me.

I sit down on recliner with Loel beside me
5.15PM
No call from my doctor. Ugh! That means I have to wait till tomorrow. Loel came with smoothie he made this morning. Now I can have it. We went for walk. Sometimes we had to make stops to laugh, it hurt me badly ha..ha..When we came back to my room, it was almost 6.30PM. We watched Simpsons and the dinner was served: veggie burger with fries, a bowl of green salads, a creamy pudding, orange juice and a cup of tea. I shared the burger and fries with Loel and had the rest. This really satisfied my 3 days of starvation:) I went to restroom afterward, more gas came out and whatever left in my bowel after surgery. Loel left me around 7PM.

Lilis visits me with her husband, Sef
9.30PM
My eyes got tired of reading. Nothing interesting on tv. I heard knocks on the door and voice,"Maria? Are you there?" A familiar face came out the door. Lilis! She came with her husband, Sef. They brought me some donuts, Round Rock donuts, the best and only in Round Rock. I ate one and it was warm and puffy. It reminded me of the fresh local donut we used to have in Surabaya. We exchanged stories. They told me about their bad holiday. How they eagerly wanted to have beautiful new year's eve in New York. But instead, they both caught bad flu that made them stay in bed most of the days. We shared stories of our weddings and honeymoons, families, etc. She told me she found a job in this 'woman plus-size' boutique. I asked if she drives now. She still is having problem coping with bad traffic, bad drivers, and the past car crash she involved in few years ago. She's lucky to have Sef who is happy to drive her around. What a cute couple! Thanks for those donuts!

0 comments: