My Experience with Ovarian Cyst (part 3)

It has been 2 months and 2 weeks since my visit to the second obgyn. Well, actually I went to the third obgyn for second opinion. But he has the same diagnose: ovarian cyst in my right ovary and need a surgical removal. Anyhow, I'm still doing my mostly-raw diet and taking herbs, vitamins, and supplements. The good thing about this diet is I lost weights but at the same time I feel more energized. I lost about 12lbs (about 5.5kgs) now I only weigh 103lbs (about 47kgs). Maybe because I cut a lot of fat that comes mostly from dairy products. (FYI: even though I was a vegetarian, I loved to eat cheese (especially cheddar cheese) and ice cream (Ben&Jerry is my favorite...oh God...they are heavenly good!).
My diet now includes more greens and whole grains. Drink plenty of water, orange or lemon juice (citrus fruits are among the alkaline foods, which are good for you), and almond or rice milk to substitute cow milk. My husband made fresh sun flower sprouts and almond milk every 2-3 days. Wholefood market and Sun Harvest become our favorite shopping destinations for organic foods. One thing you should know about fresh produce, always try to get one that is locally-grown. It means less time for transportation, which means less gasoline used, which means less carbon in the air and less contamination.
My period cycle is also becoming more regular (between 28-29 days) and I experience no pain that used to come with the period. Some of you may be familiar with that feeling, it's like having your lower abdomen twisted and squeezed. For some women, it may be accompanied with nausea, vomiting, cold sweat, light headed, even faint. I'm so happy that I no longer have to use my Midol to ease my pain.
Above all, I feel great and positive that this diet would work and I am ready to get another check up. So, I set up another appointment with yet another obgyn my friend, Ati, refered me to. I searched his profile online and he has a pretty good reviews from his patients. With my previous obgyns, I felt like a hopeless experimental mouse. They left me with limited information about what I'm going through. Thanks to internet technology, I'm able to search any kind of info I need and digest it.
The appointment was scheduled on Monday, December 8th. My husband was my companion. We came 10 minutes before to give me time filling out some paperworks. After about 30 minutes later, nurse called me and I went in. She checked my vital status: height, weight, blood pressure and pulse. Then I waited for another 15 minutes before doctor went in my room. Oh, and by the way, I did not tell him about my cyst problem. I wanted him to find it out himself and give me an updated result.
He reviewed my medical history and we talked about the possible fertility program that we might be doing. Then, came that moment when he put his hand on me and felt the bump on my abdomen. "What is this? Would you mind if we do some USG today?" I said, not a problem. Then, nurse took me to USG room and asked me to take my clothings waist down and laid on examine table. Doctor came in and did transvaginal usg to get a better look inside my reproduction organs. OK. I said to myself and pray, 'everything is gonna be alright... the cyst is shrinking now.. Oh God, please...it's going away..."
Doctor was surprised, but not as much as I was, "Wow, it looks like you have a really big cyst in your right ovary. The size is about 11cm by..." I felt my heart was about to jump with jolly. But then, he continued,"...ok...it's about 11cm by 12cm." I felt just like a balloon being popped out by an arrow. That damn cyst is growing. After all this diet and efforts and prayers, the cyst is still growing. Even bigger. I was stunned, did not know what to say. My tears ran through my cheeks. Doctor patted my hand to comfort me and asked if I want my husband to come in. I said yes. Then I dressed up, Loel came in, and we talked about the new finding.
Bassically, he recommended the same thing: open surgery. But, not like the other doctors I met before, he explained the details about what he found and step by step procedure that I might go through next. I was so devastated and frustrated, for sure. I felt that this holistic program only gave me false healthier feeling. But the way the doctor talked to us with such an empathy approach made me feel comfortable and he reassured me that things might not be as bad as they look like.
He then requested for a CA-125 blood test and CT scan. CA-125 is short for cancer antigen, is a test to mark any sign of cancerous cell in ovary and other reproduction organs. I did the blood test the same day but the CT scan must be done in certain hospitals which has the facility. I picked one that is close to us. Nurse made an appointment via phone and wrote notes for me. I have to do 4 hours fasting prior to the procedure. The appointment was set up for December 10th at 2pm. I can only drink water, or plain tea or coffee after 10am and I have to be at the clinic at noon to do some prep.

0 comments: